Case Management/Electronic Case Files (CM/ECF) is the automated case management and electronic docketing system for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Northern District of West Virginia. CM/ECF provides an easy-to-use electronic case filing feature that will make life easier for you by allowing you to file and view court documents over the Internet.
CM/ECF will allow users to file and view documents from their office, home or anywhere they have access to the Internet, 24 hours a day. Documents are automatically docketed as part of the filing process and are immediately available electronically. CM/ECF also provides the following benefits:
- 24 hour access to filed documents over the internet
- Automatic e-mail notice of case activity
- The ability to download and print documents directly from the court system
- Concurrent access to case files by multiple parties
- Secure storage of documents ( so files are not misplaces )
- Potential reduction in courier fees, copy costs
How Does It Work?
The electronic case files system accepts documents in a portable document format (PDF). PDF retains the way a document looks when viewing it across different platforms, so the pages, fonts and other formatting are preserved. Filing a document with the court's CM/ECF system is quite easy:
- Create the document using word processing software. Or check your Bankruptcy form preparation software for electronic filing capability.
- Save the document in PDF format .
- Log onto the court's CM/ECF system, using a court-issued login and password.
- Follow the set of simple prompts to provide information about the case, party, and document to be filed.
- Attach the PDF document and submit it to the court for filing ( by pressing the submit button ).
- Save or print the CM/ECF electronic receipt e-mailed fro the court confirming the document was filed.
Are There Additional Fees?